Pueblo Del Arroyo

Information

Pueblo del Arroyo is a great house site in the Chaco Canyon. It was excavated along with Pueblo Bonito by George Pepper in 1896-1900 and later on by Judd in 1920 (Washburn et al. 2011: 1637). The vessels recovered from both Pueblo Bonito and Pueblo del Arroyo by Pepper were "wrapped in newspaper, crated, and shipped by rail to the American Museum of Natural History" (Washburn et al. 2011: 1637). Washburn et al. (2011) tested "three polished red sloped-sided cylinder jars (vases)" from an elite burial context at Pueblo del Arroyo.

In this chemical analysis theobromine and theophylline were recorded when the "substance was present at 5 ng/mL or higher. At concentrations less than 5ng/mL, signal noise precluded detection with confidence" and "the same convention applies to caffeine except that the quantification limit was 10 ng/mL" (Washburn et al. 2011, Supplementary Material).

Mapping Coordinates Approximate.

ID Other ID Type Subtype Uncal BP (years) ± 1 σ (years) Median cal BP (years) Lower cal BP (years) Upper cal BP (years) δ13C Contaminated?
Sample 81 ChemicalSample Caffeine, Theobromine, and Theophylline
Sample 83 ChemicalSample Caffeine and Theobromine
Sample 82 ChemicalSample Caffeine, Theobromine, and Theophylline

Attached Files

No attached files

References Cited

Washburn, Dorothy K., William N. Washburn and Petia A. Shipkova
     2011    The Prehistoric Drug Trade: Widespread Consumption of Cacao in Ancestral Pueblo and Hohokam Communities in the American Southwest. Journal of Archaeological Science 38(7):1634-1640.